There are many reasons why you would want to request and download your Twitter archive. You might want to cancel your account and have a smaller social media presence. Or, you just want to sift through all your tweets, direct messages and other data. Whatever your reason for wanting to request and download your Twitter archive, the platform makes it relatively simple. In a few steps (and a little bit of waiting time) you can have a copy of your Twitter history. Not sure where to start? Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to request Twitter archive.
How Do I Request Twitter Archive?
You’ve decided to request Twitter archive, so what’s next? You’ll need to log into your account and make a request, it only takes a few minutes. Not sure how to do so? Here’s how to request Twitter archive from both a desktop computer and the app.
How to Request Twitter Archive From the Twitter App
If you’re an iOS or Android app user, requesting your Twitter archive is easy. All it takes is a few minutes out of your day. Here’s how to request Twitter archive from the app:
- Log into your Twitter account.
- Tap on your profile picture in the upper left corner.
- Tap on “Settings and Support” at the bottom of the menu.
- Tap on “Settings and Privacy”.
- Tap on “Your Account”.
- Tap on “Download an archive of your data”.
- It will redirect you to the Twitter website and you’ll need to log in again.
- Tap on the blue “Request Archive” button.
- You’ll have the ability to download your Twitter archive via a zip file.
Note you might be asked to verify your password or enter a verification code before proceeding. Also, remember that once your request is received, it may take 24 hours or longer to receive your Twitter archive. Depending on your settings, you’ll receive a push notification, text message or email letting know you the file is ready.
How to Request Twitter Archive from a Desktop Computer
If you need to request Twitter archive from your computer, it’s as easy as the app. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the Twitter website and log into your account.
- Click on the three dots/more tab on the left side of your screen.
- This will bring down another menu, click on “Settings and Support”.
- Then click on “Settings and Privacy”.
- Under the “Your Account” column, click on the option “Download an archive of your data”.
- After you click download archive, tap on the blue “Request Archive” button.
- Like from the app, your Twitter archive data folder is now available for download via a zip file.
Like requesting your archive from the app, you might need to verify your password. Once you receive your file you’ll have the ability to download your Twitter archive. You can download and open these folders on your phone, but we recommend looking at them on a computer. It makes browsing through the files and HTML page much easier.
Your Archive: All the Details About Your Twitter Data
When you request Twitter archive and receive it, you might be overwhelmed with the information you receive. Not sure what is a Twitter archive? To be prepared, know that you will have access to almost everything on your Twitter account. This file includes your account information, tweet history, account users you’ve blocked, DM’s or direct messages, etc. You may also see a list of any third-party apps you’ve used to access your Twitter account or other data. Want to know how many tweets you’ve made? Your archive contains all of this information. Now that you know how to request your Twitter data, you might want to repeat the process throughout the year. Especially if you are someone who likes to keep a paper or e-file trail of your usage.
At TweetEraser, we have designed an easy-to-use, web-based tool that helps filter and delete bulk tweets. With this tool, Twitter users can quickly load data and complete archives, filtering and deleting them. Also, TweetEraser does all these without clogging your timeline with promotional content. Start filtering and cleaning your Twitter timeline today!